Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: L2TP and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the L2TP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop).
You start your Windows protocol configuration by opening your 'Control Panel' and walk your way right to the 'Network and Sharing Center' ...
... where you click on 'Set up a new connection or network' ...
... and then 'Connect to a workplace'.
Next thing to do is to choose the option 'Use my Internet connection (VPN)'.
Add the server address you want to connect to, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. Furthermore type in a name for your new connection in the field 'Destination name'. If you plan to create more connections to different locations make sure, you label each connection thoroughly by adding the country name, eventually the server group and maybe even the protocol, so you can tell one from another, e. g. 'CG RO Premium L2TP'.
A native protocol connection addresses just one single server. If you want to surf from different locations, aka use different servers in different countries, you need to set up as many connections as locations you want (which means you have to do all steps again for each single country). If you want to be able to connect to five different countries, for example, you need to set up five different connections, from which you can choose later on.
When you're done, click on 'Create' and configure your new connection:
- Open 'Control Panel' and click on 'Network and Internet > Connect to a network'.
- Click on 'Change adapter settings' in the upper left of the window
- Right click on the connection you just created and choose 'Properties' from the context menu.
- A different window opens with an active tab called 'General', which displays the server address you entered before. Switch to the tab 'Security' and activate as the wanted 'Type of VPN' the entry 'Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec'.
- As 'Data Encryption' you choose 'Maximum strength encryption', which equals 256 Bit AES. Note: For media streaming it might be necessary to choose 'Require encryption' (which equals 128 Bit AES) to avoid disruptions, caused by the big load the 'Maximum strength encryption' puts on your CPU.
- Also please click on the button 'Advanced Settings' and activate the option 'Use preshared key for authentication'. Enter 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive!).
Furthermore activate the option 'Allow these protocols' and put a mark in the box to 'Microsoft CHAP Version 2'.
Click on 'OK' to leave the dialog.
Click on the network symbol in the system tray and chose from the list of connections the one you just created.
Alternatively open 'Control Panel', click on 'Network and Internet > Connect to a network' and choose your created VPN connection. Double-click on it and click again on the respective connection in the Charms Bar.
Click on 'Connect' and enter your credentials, which consist of 1) the user name created in step 1, and 2) the password, also created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!
Certain routers need you to activate the L2TP/IPSec protocol in order to establish working connections. How you can accomplish that task should be documented in your router's manual.