When using the 'Best server location' option, a connection will be established entirely automatically to the most suitable server that our Server Parser can find for your connection (based on response time tests, number of users, load on the server, etc).
Based on a server in one of the available countries, but you can also choose your favorite location manually by either changing the respective country or by directly activating an individual server.
Watch our short demonstration video to find out how to connect with just a couple of clicks !
Start the CyberGhost VPN client by clicking on its desktop symbol or start menu entry and then click on the yellow side lap to open the extended program view with all different server lists and settings.
Make sure you activated the menu entry 'All servers':
The next step is to choose the country to which you wish to connect. For that simply click on its respective entry.
You can use also use the attributes of a country as a filtered measure. They provide you with the following information:
- Number of users: Below the name of the country to be chosen you find the total numbers of users being online on all CyberGhost servers in the respective country.
- Distance: The distance between you and the country you want to surf. This information might be useful to share a light on your Internet speed at a given moment. The higher the distance, the more time data packets need to be delivered.
- Load: The total amount of a load of all servers in a country.
To quickly connect, just select the desired country and click the Connect button (or double-click on it)
You can also use the search field to search for a specific country ...
... or use the pre-filtered server lists provided:
- For torrenting: If you look for a server for download purposes, e. g. to download Torrents, you most often need a compatible server, since not all countries for example allow P2P technologies such as Torrents - or only allow it if all connections are logged, which CyberGhost refuses to do. Also, you might want the best performance available.
- For streaming: In case you want to stream content from a certain country (e. g. to watch home TV when on a trip), you need a server capable of delivering high-resolution content as well as being equipped to work with the wanted streaming platform.
Either way, mark the country of your choice with a single click. Once done the respective country name will show up in the control window as the desired connection type and replace whatever occupied the place before.
To activate the chosen connection click on the yellow power button or double-click on the marked country line.
Remember: The default mode for connections is 'Best server', whereas CyberGhost automatically connects to a country/server combination providing you the best performance.
After changing the connection type to a specific country, CyberGhost will switch off the automatic country choice of its internal laod balancing system (since you already decided for a country), but still decides automatically for the best performing server in that respective country.
Manual Server Selection
To go one step further and not only manually decide for a country, but also for a single, specific server in that country, click on the right-handed arrow in the country of your choice to open its server list. (Note: To return to the country list, click on the arrow in the upper left corner.)
Click on any single server you want to use.
The server list itself provides you with some important data you can use to filter out the server to be used:
- The number of users: Below the name of a server its current number of active users is displayed. A high number equals a strong frequented server, which might result in slower connections, but provides a higher additional anonymity level (since all users share one IP address). A low level can equal a faster server if the usage level is also moderate.
- Ping: The ping value illustrates the time a server needs to answer a request. The lower the ping, the faster the server can be addressed. Note: The ping value doesn't correspond to the server speed, which can be very high, even though the ping is also high. It's a value interesting for online gamers, who need delay-free connections.
- Distance: The distance between you and the server you want to use. This information might be useful to share a light on your Internet speed at a given moment. The higher the distance, the more time date packets need to be delivered, so it is very often recommended to decide for the nearest server if speed is a criterion.
- Load: A load of a server depends on the number of currently logged in users, but also on the traffic caused by them. Please note that a high load doesn't have to equal a high number of users. There is also the possibility that a handful of users occupy a big amount of the available bandwidth and as a result might slow down your surfing speed.
- Favorite: Click on the star and the resp. server will be added to your list of favorites.
Mark the server of your choice with a single click. It will show up in the control window as the desired connection type and replace whatever occupied the place before.
To activate your manually defined connection simply click on the yellow power button in the control screen or double-click on the resp. server entry in the server list. If a different connection is active at the moment, it will be disconnected first. In the time between two connections, no Internet traffic is allowed.
After being successfully connected to a server, CyberGhost displays the country you are surfing from, the name of the server in use, and its IP address. This new IP address can not be tracked back to your identity or your real IP address.
It's recommended to add a working connection to your list of favorites. That way you spare some taps and can fire up the respective connection directly.
To disconnect from the current connection click on the power button.
After disconnecting the VPN, the country or server you used last will replace the default connection type and stay valid for all future connections - until you choose a different country or server or switch back to 'Best Location'.
Q: If I am looking for a single server and have the list of the resp. country open, will the 'Choose best server' button help me to decide for the most optimal connection?
A: No. 'Choose best server', resp. 'Best server location' will always reset any filter and decide for the best server in general, which also could mean a totally different country than the one you want to surf from at the moment.