CyberGhost owns an extensive server pool throughout many countries in West and East Europe, the USA, South America, Asia, and Australia. A user may log in per default automatically on a server in one of the available countries, but can also choose his or her favorite location manually by defining a country or a single server to connect to.
To manually choose a country switch to the main screen and simply tap on the connection description between 'Connect to' and the little downwards showing arrow:
In the next screen you see a list of all countries CyberGhost operates servers in.
To make it easier for you to find your country of interest, simply type the respective name in the search field above the first country line. Note: If the search field is not visible, swipe downwards to reveal it.
As you can see the list of countries to be displayed can be pre-filtered:
- All: All available countries will be displayed.
- Streaming: Only countries with optimized streaming servers will be displayed. More on this topic you will find in the 'How to stream' article here.
- Favorites: Only countries, single servers, or single streaming servers you marked as 'Favorites' will be added in this list.
To activate the country of your choice simply tap on the resp. name or flag. The single server to be used in the country of choice will be determined by CyberGhost automatically, based on an internal load balancing.
Single server choice
To go one step further and activate a single, specific server in a country of your choice, tap on the three dots on the right end of the resp. country entry line.
The next screen shows you internal information on the respective country, such as the number of servers available, the total amount of users connected to all servers of that country and the average server load.
The menu allows you to:
- Select a specific server: Tap here to manually choose a single server in the country of interest (see below).
- Add to Favorites: Tap to add this country to your list of favorite countries to connect to.
- Connect: Tap to connect to this country right now, the single server to be used will be determined by CyberGhost automatically, based on the internal load balancing.
If you tapped to select a specific server, now scroll through the list of all available single servers for this country and decide for one.
A single tap on the respective entry will select the respective server, a tap on the star will add the server to your list of favorites.
Note: A single server can also be chosen by tapping on the three dots at the right end of the country line.
Once a country or single server is activated, the app switches back to the main screen, where the country or server will be shown right beneath the connection confirmation. Also the valid new IP address (different from your original one) is going to be displayed.
If you defined a country instead of a single server to connect to in default mode CyberGhost will choose the single server to work with automatically, based on the internal load balancing.
To disconnect from the current connection tap on the yellow power button.
After disconnecting the VPN, the country or server you specified will replace the default connection type and stay valid for all future connections - until you choose a different country or server or switch back to 'Best Location'.
Please note that, although you are anonymized, you still need to be careful with your personal data. If you participate on a social network like Facebook, or if you are logged in to real name Google account while being anonymized, or expose your real name and/or email address in a different context, you will most certainly compromise your anonymity.
For your information
All of the following functions are valid for each server inside the CyberGhost network:
- Encryption: All connections will be secured with 256-bit AES, which can't be intruded from the outside.
- Hidden IP: Your original IP address will be replaced by an IP address from the CyberGhost network, so your identity can't be tracked down. At the same time the very same IP address will be shared with all other users on a respective server, thus extending your anonymity.
- No logs: CyberGhost is committed to its strict NO LOGS policy requiring the minimum anonymous user data to run the service.
- KillSwitch: The automatic Internet KillSwitch blocks all connections as soon as it detects an unexpected connection loss to the CyberGhost network.
- Leak Protection: CyberGhost protects against IPv6, Port Forwarding and DNS leaks.