Tap on the gear symbol to open the Settings menu with the following options :
- Username : Shows the current active account name, for trial version users it's the mail address used when registering.
- Plan : Your type of subscription (e. g. yearly, monthly ...).
- Active devices : Amount of active devices. Depending on your subscription you can use your plan with different numbers of devices at the same time.
- Expires at : The date your current subscription runs out.
- Open account management (regular CyberGhost subscriptions only ) : Loads the online account management page into your default browser. Account management might be necessary to e. g. activate or deactivate a device slot.
- Log out : Here you log out from the current active account.
- Connection checker : is a tool to run a quick test on your VPN connection (in case you have problems reaching CyberGhost for example). It will provide a check on your Internet connection in general, if the log-in servers are reachable and if the CyberGhost API can be accessed.
- Domain name fronting : The 'Domain Fronting' feature is needed, if the domains *.cyberghostvpn.com / * or the corresponding IP addresses are blocked (meaning: our API is not reachable; e.g. because of censorship).
- Ad-Blocker : Improves your Internet experience by filtering annoying ads. Web pages can be loaded faster and read better. Furthermore, your online security profits, since malware can easily be distributed through ad networks. On mobile data connections, this feature can help saving money (fewer data to transfer) and battery (fewer data to process).
- Data compression : Compresses images and web content. Inside home networks, the data compression feature is usually deactivated, for obvious reasons, but if on the road and dependent on mobile connections, one can save money on reducing the amount of data being transferred through compression.
- Protection again malicious websites : Warn you when you try to visit a malicious website.
- Prevent online tracking : Prevents monitoring, recording, and analyzing of your surfing behaviors e. g. by social media elements such as the Facebook 'Like' button. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
Here you activate a warning each time CyberGhost detects a new Wi-Fi network. If you are concerned about your device's security in public hotspots (which you should), it's recommended to keep this option activated at any time.
Right below the activation button, a default CyberGhost action can be set separately for password-protected Wi-Fi networks ('Secure Wi-Fi') and free access Wi-Fi networks ('Insecure Wi-Fi').
To define the way Wi-Fi networks should be treated at availability, tap on the resp. entry.
Now choose one of the following actions (all options are available for password-protected networks and open networks alike):
- Ask : Every time your device detects a Wi-Fi network, CyberGhost asks you if you want to be protected.
- Protect : Every time your device detects a Wi-Fi network, CyberGhost automatically starts a VPN connection.
- Disable protection : If you already have a VPN connection running and you enter a (different) Wi-Fi network, CyberGhost will disable the VPN connection.
- Ignore : By choosing this option, CyberGhost will ignore any Wi-Fi network.
Known Wi-Fi networks: Since CyberGhost remembers networks and the reaction wanted on any particular network you can manage here all known networks, such as assigning a different reaction to a specific one, by simply tapping on the specific Wi-Fi network.
App Split Tunnel : Split tunneling enables you to choose which apps will access the Internet through the VPN tunnel and which apps you'd like to allow to access the Internet via your main connection.
Send anonymous usage data : If you allow us to receive anonymous usage data, you will help us improve the CyberGhost app and infrastructure. No data can be traced back to you!
Use random port to connect: This option allows CyberGhost to establish connections through randomly chosen ports (which will be changed with each new connection), instead of a fixed port (which makes it easy for providers to slow down or block CyberGhost connections). In case your provider or network admin (such as in Hotels or Airports) doesn't allow VPN traffic, the activation of this option might help to successfully connect to the CyberGhost network because usually only a few ports are blocked.
VPN protocol : Choose between the VPN protocol to be used. Available protocols are OpenVPN and WireGuard®.
Transport mode : OpenVPN TCP or UDP
UDP : is known to be faster, good for streaming, video calls, or games.
TCP : is known to be stable and will deliver every single packet of information that you send from your device. Therefore it might be slower compared to other protocols.
- Contact support : Report a problem to our support team and/or tell us your opinion about the CyberGhost app! Every kind of feedback helps to improve and we are eager to hear your thoughts!
- Help : Loads the CyberGhost support page into your default browser.
- Theme: Dark or Light
- Version : Displays your current CyberGhost version.
- Market : Displays the market you bought your subscription from.