Many Portuguese websites and streaming services are only available in Portugal, which can be super frustrating if you’re traveling or living abroad. If you want to access these sites and services from outside the country, the best solution is to use a VPN.
CyberGhost VPN can easily mask your device’s IP address with a Portuguese one, giving you access to whatever local websites you want. In this article we’ll explain what exactly a VPN is, and tell you how to use one to get an IP address from Portugal – or just about anywhere else.
How to Get a Portugal IP in 3 Steps
- Subscribe to CyberGhost VPN. It’s fast & easy!
- Download and install the app on any device.
- Select a Portuguese server and enjoy the latest Portuguese news, live football, and more, wherever you are.
A VPN is a virtual private network of servers located all over the world. CyberGhost, for example, has 116 server locations in more than 90 countries.
When you connect to a server in our network, your data is encrypted and your device is assigned an IP address from wherever that server is located. Your personal information will be safe from hackers, and websites and applications will think you’re located wherever the new IP address says you are – in this case, Portugal.
Why Should You Use a VPN to Get a Portugal IP Address?
- Access local websites – A Portuguese IP address will give you access to sites like Sapo for news, or Abola for sports. It’ll also let you stream Portuguese TV from local channels like SIC, TVI, and RTP1. You can even access your local bank accounts and possibly get better deals when shopping online with Portuguese vendors.
- Access websites blocked by school/work networks – If you connect to the internet on your school or employer’s network, you may find that you can’t access some of your favorite websites. CyberGhost VPN can unblock these sites for you by routing your data through an encrypted tunnel. The school or work network can’t restrict traffic it can’t see, so you can access the internet as it was meant to be accessed – freely.
- Bypass ISP throttling – “Throttling” is when an ISP slows down your connection speeds on purpose. It might do this if you’re doing a lot of streaming or file sharing. Get CyberGhost VPN and your ISP will have no way of knowing what you’re doing online, so it’ll have no reason to put the brakes on. We even have servers optimized for certain activities, which makes us one of the fastest VPNs around.
- Stay safe on public Wi-Fi – Without a VPN, any hacker sharing a public hotspot with you could potentially get access to your data. CyberGhost uses powerful AES 256-bit encryption to protect your internet traffic, so they’ll have no way of seeing information that they could use to steal your identity or break into your accounts.
What Do You Get When You Install CyberGhost?
Large Server Network
CyberGhost has servers in 91 countries around the world, so you can use our VPN to access websites from pretty much any country you can think of. We’ve got loads of 10 Gbps servers in Europe, including in Portugal! Our network is large enough to handle a whole lot of traffic, so there’s little risk of overcrowded servers.
Access to 35+ Streaming Services
With CyberGhost, you can access streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO – even if your subscription is based in Portugal. Or maybe you have a favorite program that’s only broadcast in Portugal; much of the region-specific content typically found on TV is now streamed online. Buy CyberGhost VPN and stream shows, movies, and news from just about anywhere in the world.
Stable and Fast Connections
Our huge network and optimized servers make for exceptionally stable and fast connections. We can handle data-heavy traffic like streaming and downloading without compromising security and speed. You’ll be able to watch movies and series without buffering and download files without having to worry about your connection dropping halfway through the process.
Simultaneous Device Connections
With CyberGhost, you can protect up to 7 devices on a single account at the same time. We have apps for every major operating system, mobile or desktop – and phones and laptops are just the beginning. We also have apps for gaming consoles, smart TVs, and streaming sticks, so you can securely access Portuguese websites on every device you own.
When you use CyberGhost VPN, your privacy is protected. We mask your device’s IP address, encrypt your data, and follow a strict no-logs policy – which means that we never keep track of which sites you visit. In other words, if anyone ever tries to get your data from us, you don’t need to worry – because we don’t store any.
CyberGhost uses AES 256-bit encryption to protect your data. This military-grade standard uses a virtually indecipherable key to encrypt all data that passes through our servers. We also use state-of-the-art security protocols like OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard for sending and receiving information, so you can choose the protocol best suited to your needs.
Yes. CyberGhost can mask your IP address with a Portuguese one on any Apple or Android device. Setup is easy: just download the app for your phone and select a server in Portugal from the list. If you have any questions, we have a 24/7 support team and an extensive library of guides and how-to articles.
In countries with servers in multiple locations, you’ll have the option to choose a specific region. Our Portuguese servers, however, are all based in Lisbon, so that’s where your IP address will be from.
If you use a VPN to change your IP address, your online activity will be hidden – but it isn’t the IP address itself that does this. CyberGhost VPN hides your activity by encrypting your traffic with AES 256-bit encryption and by sending it through a secure tunnel. Your ISP has no way of deciphering the data that passes through our servers.
You can, but free VPNs are typically slower and less stable, due in part to server overcrowding on their smaller networks. If you use a free VPN for any kind of streaming or downloading, you’ll notice the lag right away.
Free services often sell your data to third parties, so they come with a pretty heavy compromise in not only speed, but in terms of security as well. Premium VPNs are both safer and faster.
You can, but a proxy is nowhere near as safe as a trustworthy VPN like CyberGhost. It might give you that IP address, but it won’t encrypt your data. Any information passing through a proxy will be vulnerable to hackers, and your online activity will be visible to your ISP. CyberGhost VPN is the safest way to go because it will encrypt your data and keep your online activity safe.
Yes. With a Portuguese IP address from CyberGhost, you can stream Netflix or any other Portugal-based subscription service – and you can do so from anywhere in the world.
We’ve got 10 Gbps servers in Lisbon waiting for you to connect. Buy CyberGhost VPN now and give it a try! And if you change your mind, we have a 45-day money-back guarantee you can always fall back on.
Leave a comment